taking care of your records
The Registrar's Office provides accurate academic records and policy services to faculty, staff, students, alumni, administration, and external constituencies.
Students should visit the Cooley Connect portal for information about:
- Address Changes
- Transcripts sent to the state bar authorities are free of charge.
- Send your request to [email protected].
- Do not request transcripts for state bar authorities through the National Student Clearinghouse.
- A Release of Information Form or a student's written permission to release information to a state bar is necessary.
Transcripts and Letters of Good Standing
Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to process all requests for transcripts and letters of good standing. You may order transcripts using any major credit card or debit card. Your card will only be charged after your order is completed.
Ordering Official Transcripts and Letters of Good Standing
- Login to National Student Clearinghouse secure site
- Click on order transcript, find Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, and read instructions.
- The site will walk you through placing your order, including delivery options and fees. You can order as many transcripts as you like in a single session.
- If you are requesting a letter of good standing, you must use the 'Enter other required instructions only' field under Delivery Information to designate the order. Please write letter of good standing and include the mailing address and delivery instructions.
- Letters of good standing cannot be sent to LSAC or to the student directly. They must be sent directly to an educational institution.
- LSAC does not accept electronic transcripts.
- Transcripts and letters of good standing are two separate documents and each require an order. In the 'Enter other required instructions only' field, note "transcript only" or "letter of good standing only."
- First-class mail = $7.50 ($5.00 per copy + $2.50 transaction fee).
- Express/overnight mail delivery available at additional fee of $40.
- Electronic transcript delivery = $9.25 ($5.00 per copy + $1.75 per document electronic delivery fee + $2.50 transaction fee).
- The $2.50 online processing fee is charged per transaction. If ordering multiple copies of transcripts, the fee is only charged once per order.
More information about ordering through the National Student Clearinghouse
- You can track the order status and order history online.
- Transcripts released to students will be official, but will be stamped “Issued to Student.”
- Graduates are sent a complimentary copy of their official transcript after graduation. It will be stamped “Issued to Student.”
- Undergraduate transcripts and LSAT/LSDAS Reports will not be released from a students’ file.
- If you select Electronic Delivery, please note that the Clearinghouse will only maintain the PDF on their server for 30 days. If your PDF expires, you will need to order another transcript.
The Registrar's Office is responsible for the completion bar certification forms and certifications of character and fitness for admission to practice law.
Each bar jurisdiction has its own unique set of application processes and requirements. Please carefully review the admissions requirements for the bar jurisdiction for which you are seeking admission.
Submit your forms to your Associate Director of Enrollment and Student Services or email to the Registrar's Office at [email protected].
Depending on the jurisdiction, bar application materials may include a Dean’s Certification or Certificate of Graduation (these forms are available directly from your state’s bar jurisdiction). All forms must be completed by the Registrar's Office, not the President or Dean of the Law School. J.D. certifications are sent directly to the bar jurisdiction from the law school and are NOT uploaded by the student directly.
Some states' bar examiners require submission of bar application forms earlier than the Law School's degree conferral date. We have communicated with these states’ bar examiners about our conferral date, and they are aware we will send students’ forms immediately following degree conferral. You may continue to receive warning letters regarding missing materials from the Law School, but you will be eligible to sit for the bar examination if we received your forms prior to the degree conferral date.
Contact the Registrar
Email: [email protected]
Toll Free: (800) 874-3511 (option 3)
Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Send all information and requests to:
Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School
300 S. Capitol Ave.
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone: (517) 371-5140
Fax: (517) 334-5716