Getting off to a great start
Orientation is the foundation to your successful time during law school. Make your start reflect how you want to finish. Here are some of the items you will be able to complete now as you start getting ready for your first day in law school. Some will not be able to be completed until just a few weeks or days before the beginning of the term.
About one month before classes start, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office to your personal email that contains instructions on how to retrieve your school username and password to the portal. From there, you'll have access to your personal profile information and details specific to your account.
1. Sign up for Orientation (2 months before suggested)
2. US Citizens/Permanent Residents:
- Go to studentloans.gov School code: G12627
- 2019/20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Graduate Plus Loan Application (Do not begin until after July 1)
- Entrance Loan Counseling
- Master Promissory Notes
- Federal Stafford Loan
- Graduate PLUS Loan
- After completing these requirements, it will take about two weeks before you receive a letter from financial aid with instructions on how to view and accept your award offer.
3. Canadian & International Students
5. Undergraduate Transcript - Verify that you have sent a certified copy to the Admissions Office.
6. Housing, Maps, Parking, & Transportation - Where will you live while attending law school? Get settled into your campus neighborhood.
9. Questions? Contact [email protected]
1 Month Before Starting Classes
Look for an email from the Admissions Office to your personal email about one month before classes start:
- Go to the Student Portal here> - Access your course schedule, billing, and Gmail/Google apps.
- Find out your class schedule here (coming soon) - courses are pre-assigned for first-term incoming students
- Go to the Bookstore here - You may need to order books. Allow time for shipping. Give yourself at least one week to complete your first week assignments.
1-2 Weeks Before Starting Classes
- Complete required readings here for orientation.
- Additional Reading for GR campus only
- Course Syllabi - Faculty provide their syllabus before or on the first day of class.
- Complete first week assignments.
- Accept your financial aid package in NetPartner - Portal login required.
- Start checking your WMU-Cooley email regularly through the portal.
- Lexis/Westlaw/TWEN password - You will receive access via separate email.
First Few Weeks of Classes
- Reach out to your faculty advisor to set up a meeting. Advisors will be assigned during the first week of the semester. You will be notified of your assignment via an email to your WMU-Cooley Gmail account.
- Review first term checklist here for important dates and deadlines.