B.A. University of Vermont, 1983
A.S. University of Vermont, 1981
J.D., magna cum laude, WMU-Cooley Law School, 1993
Before coming to the law school, Professor Asher spent seven years in private practice, specializing in environmental law. At Howard & Howard, P.C., she was a member of the Environmental Practice Group, which served as outside national environmental counsel to Chrysler Corporation and Chrysler Realty Corporation. At Seyburn, Kahn, Ginn, P.C., she served as outside environmental counsel for Wayne County, Michigan.
Professor Asher joined WMU-Cooley’s full-time faculty in 2006 after having previously served as an adjunct and visiting professor. As a law student, Professor Asher graduated second in her class, was the Casenotes Editor for the WMU-Cooley Law Review, and received the following awards: numerous American Jurisprudence Awards, the National Association of Women Lawyers’ Outstanding Law Student Award, the Distinguished Student Award, the Carolyn Stell Scholarship Award, and the Julia Darlow Award.
Before attending law school, Professor Asher was a high-school biology teacher in Somersworth, New Hampshire. In addition, she was a Peace Corps volunteer in Niger, West Africa, where she managed a hospital laboratory and taught health education to villagers.
Professor Asher teaches Advanced Writing, Research and Writing, and Torts I.
Articles (Law Reviews and Law Journals)
- Rhonda L. Ross and Tammy Brown Asher, A Fatal Flaw in the Clean Air Act: How the Clean Air Act Fails to Adequately Regulate Ambient Concentrations of Hazardous Air Pollutants, 32 Utah Envtl. L. Rev. 55 (2012).
- Tammy Asher, Unprecedented Antitrust Investigations into the Lyme Disease Treatment Guidelines Development Process, 46 Gonz. L. Rev. 117 (2011).
- Tammy L. Brown, Environmental Law: Annual Survey of Michigan Law, 42 Wayne L. Rev. 793 (1996).
- Carolyn M. Claerhout & Tammy L. Brown, Environmental Law: Annual Survey of Michigan Law, 41 Wayne L. Rev. 827 (1995).
Book and Chapters in Books
- Tammy Asher, “Improving Students' Essay-Writing Skills,” in Teaching Law Practice: Preparing the Next Generation of Lawyers, edited by Charles Cercone, Nelson P. Miller & Christopher Trudeau (Vandeplas 2013).
- Rhonda L. Ross and Tammy Asher, Dangerous Air Apparent: How EPA’s Hazardous Air Pollutant Program Has Failed to Address Toxic Hotspots, 42 Envtl. L. Rep. 10475 (2012).
- Tammy Asher, Co-Presenter with David Tarrien and Jeanette Buttrey, Flipping the Curriculum: Teaching through Assessment (2015 Association of Academic Support Educators Conference, Chicago, Illinois, May 27, 2015).
- Tammy Asher, Presenter, Plain Language (2008 Michigan Family Planning Update, Grand Rapids, Mich., Sept. 17, 2008).
- Tammy Asher, Presenter, Plain Language Principles and Techniques (2007 Annual Michigan Cancer Consortium, Lansing, Mich., Oct. 31, 2007).
- Tammy Asher, Speaker, How, Why, and When to Conduct Environmental Site Assessments (National Business Institute Seminar, Jan. 1999).
- Tammy Asher, Speaker, Audit Privilege (Michigan Chamber of Commerce Seminar, Nov. 1995).