B.S. University of Illinois 1980
J.D. University of Iowa Law School 1983
Professor Martin-Scott joined WMU-Cooley Law School in 2000 as a Contracts, Sales, and Commercial Papers Professor. She was Chair of the Contracts Department from 2009 to 2020. Professor Martin-Scott also teaches a course on Multicultural Lawyering. She served as the Assistant Dean of the Lansing Campus from 2016-2020. The Assistant Dean supervises faculty and is the point of contact on all student matters regarding Honor Code, Professionalism, and all matters regarding student success.
In 2020 Professor Martin-Scott was named one of America’s Top Lawyers in Marquis Who’s Who in America. In 2019, she was named one of “The Top Lawyers in Michigan” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly. She was awarded the “Trailblazer Award” by the State of Michigan Davis-Dunnings Bar Association. She is in her eighth year as a Honorary Judge with the Teen Court Juvenile Justice Diversionary Program. She is the Co-Coordinator with The Links Incorporated, Michigan Women Foundation female youth program called Young Women for Change (YWFC). YWFC is an innovative youth leadership development and philanthropy program. Professor Martin-Scott is on the Board of Directors of Highfield Youth Center. In 2018, Professor Martin-Scott was named one of the final nominees for the United Way Volunteer of the Year Award.
Before joining the WMU-Cooley faculty, Professor Martin-Scott was Chief Administrative Law Judge for the State of Indiana’s Unemployment Insurance Review Board. She served as State Purchasing Director as well as General Counsel for the Indiana Department of Administration.
Professor Martin-Scott served as the Administrative Appeals Judge and Assistant City Attorney for the City of Evansville, Indiana. She was also in private practice handling criminal and civil matters with a primary emphasis in employment law and domestic relations.
Professor Martin-Scott belongs to the State Bars of Michigan and Indiana and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
Articles (Law Reviews and Law Journals)
- Mable Martin-Scott, Commercial Transactions and Contract Law, 57 Wayne L. Rev. 835 (2011).
- Mable Martin-Scott, Balancing the Americans with Disabilities Act with the National Historic Preservation Act, 2 Art & Museum L.J. 57 (2007).
- Mable Martin-Scott , Joni Larson, Vickie Eggers, Jeanette Buttrey, Laura Dannebohm and Kimberly O’Leary, Using a case progressive Approach to Mapping Learning Outcomes and Developing Assessments, 95 U Det Mercy L. Rev.__(2018)
Books and Chapters in Books
- Mable Martin-Scott, Kim O’Leary “Multicultural Lawyering, Navigating the Culture of the law, the Lawyer and the Client” Carolina Academic Press 2021.
- Mable Martin-Scott: How to meet the ABA requirements on implementing formative and summative assessments to measure and improve student learning. Wayne State Law School, 2018.
- Mable Martin-Scott, Multicultural Lawyering, Syracuse University Law School, Jan. 2020.
- Mable Martin-Scott, Multicultural Lawyering Teaching Law Professors Conference, WMU Cooley Law School, March, 2021.