Assistant Dean of Auburn Hills Campus and Professor
A.B., University of Michigan, with Distinction, 1986
J.D. University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, magna cum laude, 1989
Dean Lisa Halushka has expertise in criminal law, criminal procedure, evidentiary issues, juvenile law and delinquency and child abuse and neglect and child protection proceedings.
Dean Halushka is an Assistant Dean and Professor at WMU-Cooley Law School where she teaches Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure and Evidence.
Before joining WMU-Cooley’s faculty she spent 15 years as a litigation attorney, having served 11 of those years as an assistant prosecuting attorney for the Oakland County Prosecutor’s office. During her last three years with the Prosecutor’s Office she was chief of the Juvenile Division. Most recently she served as chief counsel of the Juvenile Law Group for the Legal Aid and Defender Association of Detroit, representing children in misdemeanor, felony and child abuse offenses.
The substantive focus of her work has been in the area of criminal law and juvenile law, specifically child abuse, neglect and delinquency. As part of her work, Dean Halushka has handled bench and jury trials in the district and circuit courts of Wayne and Oakland County.
While in practice, Dean Halushka lectured throughout the state on issues concerning juvenile delinquency and neglect. She has trained law enforcement officers on criminal procedure issues and on youth gang activity and provided continuing legal education for attorneys practicing juvenile or criminal law. While in practice the Michigan Lawyer's Weekly named Dean Halushka as one of its Top 10 Lawyers in Michigan for the year 2000, following her successful murder prosecution in People v Abraham. She has appeared numerous times as a juvenile and criminal justice expert on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News channels.
Dean Halushka is a member of the juvenile law committee of the Oakland County Bar Association and the Children's and Criminal Law Sections of the Michigan State Bar Association. She is a fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation and is a member of the Oakland County Bar Foundation.
Dean Halushka has authored articles on issues involving criminal law and procedure in publications including The Wayne Law Review and the WMU-Cooley Journal of Practical and Clinical Law. She is a frequent author on criminal procedure topics for the American Bar Association’s Preview of Supreme Court Cases, and is the contributing editor for Fourth Amendment Issues for that publication.
As a law student Dean Halushka graduated magna cum laude near the top of her class and was the University of Detroit Law Review’s Case and Comments Editor. She was a member of the American Inn of Court, the Urban Law Clinic and the St. Thomas More Society.
Articles (Law Reviews and Law Journals)
- Lisa K. Halushka, The Prosecution Externship - From the Classroom to the Courtroom, 11 T.M. Cooley J. Prac. & Clinical L. 323 (2009).
- Lisa K. Halushka, 2006-2007 Criminal Procedure: Annual Survey of Michigan Law, 54 Wayne L. Rev. 129 (2008).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Symposium of Juvenile Competence and Culpability: Introduction, 8 T.M. Cooley J. Prac. & Clinical. L. 1 (Special Issue, 2006).
- Lisa Tomko, Note, United Nations Convention on the Sale of International Goods: Its Effect on Canadian and American Sales Law, 66 U. Det. L. Rev. 73 (1988).
Book and Chapters in Books
- Lisa Halushka, “Juvenile Court Practice,” in Criminal Procedure Manual (Inst. of Continuing Legal Educ. 2009).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Is a Prior Domestic Assault Conviction Based on Reckless Conduct a “Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence” for the Purposes of the Federal Firearms Ban? 43 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 169 (2016).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Does the Fourth Amendment Mandate Suppression of Evidence Discovered During a Search Conducted in Reliance on Existing Precedent Subsequently Ruled Unconstitutional? 38 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 256 (2011).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Is a District Attorney's Office Liable for Inadequately Training Its Attorneys Based upon a Single Incident of Hiding Exculpatory Evidence? 38 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 32 (2010).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Can an Unreasonable Delay in the Presentment Lead to the Suppression of a Confession? 36 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 252 (2009).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Does the Good Faith Exception to the Exclusionary Rule Apply to Police Error? 36 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 23 (2008).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Does the Word "Proceeds" in the Federal Money Laundering Statute Refer to Gross Receipts or Profits Derived from Unlawful Activities? 35 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 29 (2007).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Is a Passenger in a Vehicle Subjected to a Traffic Stop "Detained" for Purposes of the Fourth Amendment? 34 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 332 (2007).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Does Denial of Counsel of Choice Result in a Sixth Amendment Violation Requiring Automatic Reversal? 33 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 386 (2006).
- Lisa K. Halushka, May Parolees Be Searched Without Any Suspicion of Criminal Wrongdoing? 33 Preview U.S. Sup. Ct. Cases 241 (2006).
- Lisa Tomko & Pamela Maas, Child Sexual Abuse: Issues at Trial in Criminal & Child Protection Proceedings, 333 LACHES (Oakland Cnty. B. Ass’n), Oct. 1993, at 14.
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Handling the Child Welfare Case (Pontiac, Michigan, July & Aug. 2004) (Supreme Court Administrator's Office, Children's Charter of Michigan).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Representing Children in Family Court (Detroit, Michigan, Mar. 7, 2003) (Wayne County Family Court Division).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Multidisciplinary Investigation in Child Abuse and Neglect (Lansing, Michigan, May 2, 2000) (Medical conference).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Juvenile Youth Gangs, Signs and Symptoms (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, Mar. 30, 2000) (Law Day observation at the Oakland County Bar Association).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Juvenile Delinquency Training for Prosecuting Attorneys, (Feb. 23, 2000) (Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan)
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Guardian ad Litem Training Seminar (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, Apr. 15, 1999) (Oakland County Bar Association).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Child Abuse Investigations: A Child Fatality Review Team Training, (Pontiac, Michigan, Feb. 2, 1999).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Juvenile Delinquency Training, (Michigan Judicial Institute, Jan. 1999).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Speaker, Nuts and Bolts of Child Protection in the New Family Court, (Lansing. Michigan, Apr. 2, 1998) (Michigan Bar Association, Family Law Section).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Presentation, Guardian ad Litem Training Seminar, (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, Apr. 1997) (Oakland County Bar Association).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Speaker, Cellular Phone Fraud, a Training Seminar for Law Enforcement and Businesses, (Apr. 1997).
- Lisa K. Halushka, Speaker, Youth Gangs: Recognizing Signs and Symptoms, (1994; 1997) (Oakland Police Academy, Farmington Hills Police Department, Holly Police Department, Huron Valley Schools, Oakland Schools, Oakland County Bar Association).