Director of LL.M. in Insurance Law and Professor
B.A. with high honor, Michigan State University, Phi Beta Kappa
J.D. Wayne State University Law School
Professor Lisa DeMoss has experience and expertise in insurance, health care financing, health insurance, corporate compliance, corporate board governance, and business ethics.
Professor DeMoss joined WMU-Cooley in 2010 as a Visiting Professor and director of the Master of Laws Program in Insurance. She became an Associate Professor in 2012 and continues to lead the LL.M. program in Insurance. In 2014, she became the director of the graduate program in Corporate Law and Finance.
Previously, she was senior vice president, general counsel, and corporate compliance officer for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan in Detroit. Earlier in her career with Blue Cross Blue Shield, she served as vice president, deputy general counsel, litigation; principal counsel, Auto-National Division; as litigation counsel; and as division counsel, responsible for all transactions, litigation, subrogation and oversight of trial counsel throughout the country. She successfully tried federal and state court cases, including a $100 million Sherman Act provider class action, ERISA fiduciary cases in federal courts, and multiple experimental medical claim class actions in state and federal courts.
Before her tenure with Blue Cross Blue Shield, Professor DeMoss was a partner in the Detroit, Mich., law firm of Fitzgerald Peters Dakmak and Bruno. While in private practice, she focused her career in areas of defense of product liability claims and insurance disputes.
She is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association, and is admitted to practice before the Sixth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals, and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, and the Northern Districts of Ohio and Illinois.
Professor DeMoss serves on the Board of Visitors of the Oakland University School of Nursing and previous served on the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Foundation where she ultimately was its Co-Chairperson.
She also is a member of the Advisory Committee for the Risk Management and Inurance Advisory Center at Olivet College and the Michigan Insurance Hall of Fame Board. In 2012, Professor DeMoss was appointed to a three year term on the Board of Ethics for the City of Rochester and continues to serve as its Presiding Officer.
Articles (Law Reviews and Law Journals)
- Lisa Sewell DeMoss, Health Care Reform and States' Rights: Did We Learn Anything from the Civil War, 34 St. Louis U. Pub. L. Rev. 259 (2015).
- Lisa DeMoss, Disaster Averted: The Affordable Care Act Survives Another Major Legal Challenge, 8 J. of Ins. & Indem. L., July 2015, at 4.
- Lisa DeMoss, Health Insurance Market Reform Under the Affordable Care Act, 6 J. of Ins. & Indem. L., July 2013, at 19.
- Lisa DeMoss, presenter, Health Insurance Exchanges under the Affordable Care Act, Health Care Forum sponsored jointly by the Oakland University School of Business and Cooley Law School on May 9, 2013
- Lisa DeMoss, Guest, Radio Broad. (WOOD Nov. 27, 2013) (Speaking about delays in the Affordable Care Act).
- Lisa DeMoss, Guest, Radio Broad. (WUSF Oct. 10, 2013) (Speaking about the Affordable Care Act).
- Lisa DeMoss, Guest, TV Broad. (WDIV Oct. 1, 2013) (Speaking about the Affordable Care Act).
- Lisa DeMoss, Guest, Internet Media (WDIV Sept. 30, 2013) (Speaking about the Affordable Care Act).
- Lisa DeMoss, Guest, The Mike Siegel Show, Radio Broad. (KLFE Sept. 25, 2013) (Speaking about the Affordable Care Act).
- Lisa DeMoss, Guest, TV Broad. (WWMT Sept. 24, 2013) (Speaking about the Affordable Care Act).
- Lisa DeMoss, Webinar Presentation, The Affordable Care Act (Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan, Sept. 24, 2013).
- Lisa DeMoss, Speaker, Health Insurance Exchanges: The Newly Insured…Who, What, When and How Many? (Health Care Forum: The Physician’s Practice: Emerging Issues for Providers, Rochester, Michigan, May 9, 2013).