Distinguished Professor Emeritus
B.A. University of Michigan 1972
J.D. University of Toledo College of Law 1976
Professor Peden joined the WMU-Cooley faculty in 1988. He has extensive experience in law office management and legal supervision and served as executive director of WMU-Cooley's Sixty Plus, Inc., Elderlaw Clinic 1991-1993. From 1993-1996 he served as Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.
Upon passing the Ohio Bar in 1976, Professor Peden served as an assistant public defender in Lucas County, Ohio. In general practice, his duties ranged from state civil and criminal litigation to federal social security and bankruptcy cases. He is licensed to practice law in Ohio, Michigan and Texas.
Before joining WMU-Cooley Law School, Professor Peden was managing attorney for West Texas Legal Services in San Angelo, Texas 1987-88 and senior supervising attorney for the University of Toledo College of Law Legal Clinic in Toledo, Ohio, 1983-87. He also had a general law practice in Toledo, Ohio 1976-1987, and was an assistant public defender in Lucas County, Ohio 1977-1983.
At WMU-Cooley, Professor Peden taught Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Terrorism and the Law, and supervised student externs in criminal practice placements. Following his retirement from WMU-Cooley, he served as deputy director for the State of Michigan Office of the Children’s Ombudsman until August 2015.
- James M. Peden, Through a Glass Darkly: Educating with Zero Tolerance, 10 Kan. J.L & Pub. Policy 369 (2001).
- James M. Peden & Ronald J. Bretz, Wayne County Criminal Advocacy Program Lecture, 3 Thomas M. Cooley J. Prac. & Clin. L. 139 (2000).
- James M. Peden, Michigan’s Conservatorship Proceedings, 10 Thomas M. Cooley L. Rev. 71 (1993).
- James M. Peden, The Guardian Ad Litem Under the Guardianship Reform Act: A Profusion of Duties, a Confusion of Roles, 68 U. Det. L. Rev. 19 (1990).
Books and Chapters in Books
- Peden, James M. "The History of Law School Administration." Chap. 80 in The History of Legal Education in the United States: Commentaries and Primary Sources, edited by Steve Sheppard. Pasadena, CA: Salem Press, 1999.
- James M. Peden & Ronald J. Bretz, Michigan Criminal Law Update, Detroit-Wayne County Criminal Advocacy Program (2000).
- James M. Peden & Ronald J. Bretz, Michigan Law Update, Detroit-Wayne County Criminal Advocacy Program (1998).