Make a Difference
A cornerstone of the law school's exceptional program is the generous philanthropic support of those committed to WMU-Cooley's tradition of excellence. One of the best ways to show your dedication and commitment to your law school is through Planning Giving.
Carpe Diem Society
Become a member of the Carpe Diem Society and seize the moment! Whether it is in suport of your church, local animal shelter, or alma mater, your favorite nonprofit can benefit when you include it in your will, estate plan, or life insurance program. For example, by establishing a planned gift to Thomas M. Cooley Law School, you can endow a scholarship, mentor a student, or leave a lasting legacy of bricks and mortar.
If you haven't spoken with a professional about planned giving, it is never too early to start. If you have already set up a plan to include Cooley Law School, contact Pamela Heos, Director of Alumni & Donor Relations at [email protected], so we can begin your membership in the Carpe Diem Society.
- A planned gift allows you to fulfill your personal financial goals while helping to ensure a bright future for Cooley.
- Planned gifts are charitable donations arranged during the donor’s lifetime but usually not completed until many years later, upon the donor's passing.
- A planned gift is an ideal way to make a substantial gift to Cooley while maximizing tax benefits and providiing for others such as family members, consistent with your financial and estate planning goals.
Properly Planned Gifts
Properly planned gifts provide an income for life, generate a current income tax deduction, reduce or eliminate capital gains taxes, reduce or eliminate gift and estate taxes, and enable you to make a much larger gift to Cooley than you thought possible.
Types of Planned Gifts
- Life Insurance
- Life Income Gifts
- Retained Life Estate
Gifts Provide Income for Life
- Charitable Gift Annuity
- Charitable Remainder Trust
- Charitable Lead Trust
- Retirement Plan Assets 401K and IRA Accounts
- Remainder Interest in Residence or Farm
- Real Estate
- Tangible Property
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plans
Carpe Diem Society Membership
Membership is based upon your notification to Cooley's Office of Development that you have made a planned gift to benefit Cooley. You will then receive an invitation for membership in the society. You need only to return the invitation and set forth some details of the gift. Membership is important for several reasons.
- First, once we know of your plans, we will be better able to assist you in ensuring that your gift is properly directed to your specified area of interest and thus is spent in accordance with your philanthropic wishes.
- Second, advance notice to Cooley of your gift intention helps us be aware of future funding sources, allowing us to plan better our future endeavors.
- Third, your membership in the society allows us to recognize you in an appropriate and timely way for your demonstrated commitment to Cooley's mission.
Respect for Confidentiality
Although your membership in the Carpe Diem Society is recorded, any information concerning your background and your planned gift is held confidential by Cooley. No information will be released without your express written consent, although we will ask that you allow us to publish your name on our membership roster.