helping to make law school affordable
WMU-Cooley's tuition rate, along with tuition scholarships and financial aid programs, make attending law school affordable.
We stand to help you with all of your financial aid questions and concerns. Below are the 2020-2021 J.D. and LL.M. tuition rates and details on the cost of attending WMU-Cooley Law School. The benchmarks used for admissions, including Professional Exploration Program (PEP) and scholarship eligibility, are subject to change based on periodic review and without notice.
J.D. 2020-2021 Tuition Rates
$1,375 per credit hour
Estimated Cost of Attendance for the 2020-2021 Academic Year
LL.M. Tuition Rate
The Graduate Program tuition rate is $950 per credit hour.
Guest students pay the same tuition rate as degree-seeking LL.M. students.
- The maximum Federal Unsubsidized loan eligibility for an academic year (2 semesters) is $20,500. After all scholarships and other educational resources are accounted for in the financial aid package, Grad PLUS loans, and/or Federal Work Study may be used to meet any remaining financial aid eligibility.
- The maximum Federal Stafford loan aggregate total is $138,500, which includes Subsidized/Unsubsidized loans borrowed from undergraduate and graduate schools. This aggregate limit does not include Grad PLUS loans borrowed. You may view your federal loan history at Studentaid.gov.
- These expenses are derived using market surveys and direct costs to the student in order to determine student loan awards. When attending WMU-Cooley, you will want to create a personal budget that will fit into these educational expenses.
Non-allowable expenses/increases include car payments, car repair/maintenance, car insurance, medical/dental expenses, consumer debt, and moving expenses. These are a few examples, but not limited to this list.
Allowable expenses/increases include costs associated with child care while attending educational related activities/classes, and Academic Resources Center (ARC) academic testing. These situations may be considered for a professional judgment request. You will need to speak with the Associate Director of Enrollment and Student Services at your campus regarding these circumstances if they do occur, as you will have to submit appropriate documentation with your request.
Campus Designation for Cost of Living Budgets
- The initial campus designation will be determined by the campus selection during the admissions process.
- Each semester a calculation will be done to determine the campus where the most credits have been earned to date. When it comes time to establish the budget for the next financial aid award year, this calculation will be used to determine the campus cost of living budget.
- If a student believes they have been assigned the incorrect campus cost of living budget, the student must request an appointment with their campus Associate Director of Enrollment and Student Services to review their campus designation.
How Financial Aid is Awarded
Incoming students aid will be awarded based on their selected schedule option (credits).
Students starting with their third term semester will be awarded on a default schedule option of 9 credit hours. Students may complete our Credit Hour Adjustments form document here to request a budget adjustment.
Student Loan Default
Tuition Refund Policies
WMU-Cooley Law School is committed to helping you reach your educational goals. We have staff available to speak with you regarding any of your financial difficulties or concerns.
Office of the Ombudsman
If you are unable to resolve any disputes you may have regarding your student loans or financial aid, the Department of Education has established the Office of Ombudsman to assist you in resolving your dispute. The Office of the Ombudsman can be contacted by:
Office of the Ombudsman
Student Financial Assistance
U.S. Department of Education
Rm 3012, ROB #3
7th and D Streets, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5144