Tuition and Financial Aid
WMU-Cooley's tuition is very competitive with that of other private law schools, and among the most affordable. We stand to help you with all of your financial aid questions and concerns.
J.D. 2017-18 Tuition Rates
Below are the 2017-18 rates and details on the cost of attending the WMU-Cooley Law School.
|Credits||Per Credit Hour|
|First 30 credits for J.D.||$1,770 per credit hour (JD Level I)|
|31 and more credits for J.D||$1,695 per credit hour (JD level II)|
LL.M. 2017-18 Tuition Rates
All students, including guest students, pay the same tuition rate as degree seeking LL.M. students.
Currently, the Graduate Program tuition is $925 per credit hour.
Estimated Cost of J.D. Attendance by Location
- The maximum Federal Unsubsidized loan eligibility for an academic year (2 semesters) is $20,500. After all scholarships and other educational resources are accounted for in the financial aid package, Graduate Plus loans, and/or Federal Work Study may be used to meet any remaining financial aid eligibility.
- The maximum Federal Stafford loan aggregate total is $138,500, which includes Subsidized/Unsubsidized loans borrowed from undergraduate and graduate schools. This aggregate limit does not include Graduate Plus loans borrowed. You may view your federal loan history at www.nslds.ed.gov.
- These expenses are derived using market surveys and direct costs to the student in order to determine student loan awards. When attending Cooley, you will want to create a personal budget that will fit into these educational expenses.
Non-allowable expenses/increases include car payments, car repair/maintenance, car insurance, medical/dental expenses, consumer debt, and moving expenses. These are a few examples, but not limited to this list.
Allowable expenses/increases include costs associated with child care while attending educational related activities/classes, and Academic Resources Center (ARC) academic testing. These situations may be considered for a professional judgment request. You will need to speak with an Enrollment Coordinator at your campus regarding these circumstances if they do occur, as you will have to submit appropriate documentation with your request.
Campus Designation for Cost of Living Budgets
- The initial campus designation will be determined by the campus selection during the admissions process.
- Each semester a calculation will be done to determine the campus where the most credits have been earned to date. When it comes time to establish the budget for the next financial aid award year, this calculation will be used to determine the campus cost of living budget.
- If a student believes they have been assigned the incorrect campus cost of living budget, the student must request an appointment with an Enrollment Coordinator to review their campus designation.
How Financial Aid is Awarded
We have several scheduling options broken down into two categories: part time or full time. We base all of our part time programs on 9 credit hours and all of our full time programs on 15 credit hours with the exception of our 6 credit hour budget, which is awarded to students enrolled in 6 credit hours or less. If you are taking more credits than you have been budgeted and wish to request funds to cover the additional cost of credits, please complete our Credit Hour Adjustments form document here or contact your Enrollment Coordinator AFTER you have registered for classes for the upcoming term.
Student Loan Default
Tuition Refund Policies
WMU-Cooley Law School is committed to helping you reach your educational goals. We have staff available to speak with you regarding any of your financial difficulties or concerns.
Office of the Ombudsman
If you are unable to resolve any disputes you may have regarding your student loans or financial aid, the Department of Education has established the Office of Ombudsman to assist you in resolving your dispute. The Office of the Ombudsman can be contacted by:
Office of the Ombudsman
Student Financial Assistance
U.S. Department of Education
Rm 3012, ROB #3
7th and D Streets, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5144