Admission Requirements and application Process
USLS LL.M. Program Admission Requirements
Admission to this program will be based on, among other things:
- an earned first degree in law, or its equivalent, from a recognized university outside the United States that is duly accredited in the country
- a distinguished academic record, or demonstrated experience, academic performance or other qualifications indicating the ability to perform well in the LL.M. program
- certification, or capability of certification, to practice law in their country
- undergraduate major and academic performance
- a written personal statement
- a letter of recommendation
- a writing sample
The ability to demonstrate proficiency in speaking and writing English is required of applicants who are not native English speakers. The official TOEFL report must be sent directly by ETS to Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.
Applicants must submit the following to the International Programs Office:
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement
- Reference letter
- Writing sample
- Credential evaluation by the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) LL.M. Credential Assembly Service or the World Education Services, Inc. (WES). The report must be sent directly from the service you choose to Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, International Programs Office, 300 S. Capitol Ave., Lansing, MI 48933 by mail. There is a charge for the evaluation.
*Applicants to the USLS LL.M. program may submit the required documents directly to the International Programs Office or utilize LSAC.
Applicants to the program who are not native English speakers must demonstrate proficiency in speaking and writing English. Your TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) report must be sent directly by the Education Testing Service ETS to WMU-Cooley Law School. WMU-Cooley's Institution Code is 1796. The program's TOEFL score requirements are:
- 550 minimum on paper-based TOEFL
- 213 minimum on computer-based TOEFL
- 80 minimum on internet-based TOEFL
Contact information for TOEFL follows:
Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA
1-609-771-7100, 1-877-863-3546, or 1-609-771-7714, www.ets.org
Contact the International Programs Office here with your questions, including those about application and enrollment deadlines.
Hilary Term (January - April)
Application Deadline: November 1
Trinity Term (May - August)
Michaelmas Term (September - December)
Application Deadline: July 1
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
International Programs Office
300 South Capitol Avenue
Lansing, MI 48933
Tuition and Fees
There is no application fee. A $25 non-refundable enrollment fee is charged to reserve a seat. In addition, there is a $500 tuition deposit (applied to your first term's tuition) that must be paid by the deadline date. WMU-Cooley charges a $20 non-refundable student activity fee each term. Find the current tuition rate here for graduate courses. Tuition and fees are subject to change without prior notice. Scholarships are not available.