Cooley Law School Logo
Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions about our Study Abroad Programs? You aren't the only one. Below are common questions we have received about the program.

Who can attend the Study Abroad Programs?

Cooley will consider applications from law students who are enrolled in good standing in an ABA-accredited or state-approved law school and have completed at least one year of study.

As a Cooley student, may I attend other law school's study abroad programs?

Yes, Cooley students may study internationally through other ABA-approved study abroad programs, as follows: Through ABA-approved international study abroad programs offered by ABA-approved law schools, students may request up to 9 credits for transfer to Cooley, and seek approval for those transfers of credit from the Associate Dean of Students; externship credits are excluded.  Qualified students will be in good academic and character standing, will have completed one year of law school studies, will have no administrative holds on their records, and will not exceed a total of 30 transfer credits.  Students are expected to, and Cooley will, adhere to guidance from the U.S. State Department regarding travel safety.  Please contact the International Programs Office with your questions.

How do I apply?

Students must complete an application that can be obtained on the website or by contacting the International Programs Office. Each program requires a deposit for tuition (please see the individual program requirements, available on the website). Also, students who are not attending Cooley need their school to forward a letter of good standing and an official transcript.

Are there a limited number of students who can attend the programs?

Each program is different and varies each year. Refer to the program's brochure for any limitations. If you have specific questions regarding individual programs, please e-mail us at [email protected].

What are the tuition costs?

Cooley students pay tuition at the schools' established rate. Honor scholars apply their scholarship to the cost of the program. Guest students pay a different tuition rate that is specific to each program. Please see each program to determine specific information on tuition.

Is my deposit refundable if I'm unable to attend the program?

Please refer to the current year brochure for the program in which you are interested for specific refund polices. Should the program be cancelled for circumstances beyond our control, any monies paid will be fully refunded.

Are there course requirements?

Please see the individual program descriptions for that information.

Is housing available?

Details about housing can be found in each program’s brochure.

How should I plan my finances?

Each program has a budget. The Cooley Financial Aid Office assists students in reviewing the program budget and discussing financial aid eligibility.  Guest students should contact their home school's financial aid office to determine eligibility and deadlines. Cooley works with guest students and their financial aid offices.

Do I need a passport and/or visa?

Yes. A passport is a must. Plan ahead if you need to get a passport or renew one.  For more details about whether a tourist or student visa is required please contact our office.

More Questions?

For questions, concerns or more details on any of the above questions or for other questions, please contact us at [email protected].