ethics and professionalism
By creating a culture of professionalism within the law school, WMU-Cooley inspires excellence, service and integrity in the souls of those we serve. WMU-Cooley fosters high caliber relationships between the WMU-Cooley community and the legal and local communities.
WMU-Cooley is dedicated to the following ideals:
- Lead by modeling and teaching ethics
- Foster and encourage service
- Practice professionalism
- Commitment to our communities
More featured programs, principles and honors
- Professionalism Principles - Be Accountable, Serve the Community, Focus on Students, Promote an Ethical School Community
- Ethics Library - WMU-Cooley's Ethics and Professionalism Library maintains nearly 5,000 volumes of ethics materials. The Ethics and Professionalism Library is open to students, faculty, and attorneys to promote the research and study of ethics and professionalism.
- E. Smythe Gambrell Award - Through WMU-Cooley's innovative, award-winning Professionalism Plan, which received the American Bar Association's highest recognition for professionalism, the E. Smythe Gambrell Award, WMU-Cooley created a culture of professionalism that permeates every part of the school.
- Florida Professionalism - The Florida Bar's Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism offers a handbook on professionalism.
- Professionalism Advisory Committee - Bringing together nearly 60 leaders to identify professionalism issues that impact the practice of law and higher education and to create a dialogue on ways to improve and promote professionalism in legal education.
- School-wide Pro Bono Opportunities - WMU-Cooley offers its students the opportunity to serve the indigent, under-served, and deserving through programs at each campus. Students should contact the Career and Professional Development Office at their campus to take advantage of these opportunities and to log their pro bono hours through the Pro Bono tab on Symplicity.
- Commitment to Honor - At every orientation, our new students, along with faculty and staff, promise not to lie, cheat, steal, plagiarize, or tolerate those who do.
- Integrity in Our Communities Lecture Series - Nationally and locally recognized speakers talk about issues, trials, and lawsuits touching on ethical and professional matters.
- Professionalism in Action - A collaborative program between the State Bar of Michigan and WMU-Cooley bringing students, local attorneys and judges together to discuss the role and importance of ethics and professionalism in both the study and practice of law. Our newest campus in Tampa Bay has adopted this program as well, with attorneys and judges from Hillsborough and neighboring counties setting great examples for our students before they have even started law school