Cooley Law School to Dedicate Bronze Sculpture of Justice Thomas M. Cooley
"The school was named for Thomas McIntyre Cooley, Michigan's greatest jurist, a man whose work in the mid-1800s as Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court and as a legal scholar is still cited today. The dedication of this sculpture is our way of honoring our namesake and providing our faculty, staff and students with a constant reminder of the school's guiding principles"
— Don LeDuc, President and Dean, Cooley Law School
October 11, 2012 - Thomas M. Cooley Law School will hold a special dedication and formal unveiling of a bronze casting of the school's namesake Tuesday, Oct. 16 at noon, at the school's Ann Arbor campus, 3475 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Mich.
Michigan sculptor and artist Matt Large will be in attendance along with Cooley Law School Professor Marjorie Gell, who was instrumental in the commissioning of the sculptures now present at each of Cooley's campuses.
Justice Thomas M. Cooley, was appointed to the Michigan Supreme Court in 1864 and served until 1885. He wrote a number of law manuals; the most famous was Cooley’s Constitutional Limitations. Nationally, he was appointed to a commission to investigate issues involving railroads. In 1887, President Grover Cleveland appointed Cooley a Commissioner of the Interstate Commerce Commission. He died in 1898 at age 74.
About Cooley Law School: Founded in 1972, the Thomas M. Cooley Law School is a private, nonprofit, independent law school accredited by the American Bar Association and the Higher Learning Commission. Cooley has provided its more than 16,000 graduates with the practical skills necessary for a seamless transition from academia to the real world. Cooley offers its Juris Doctor program, Joint Degree programs, and Master of Laws programs three times a year with enrollment in January, May and September. Cooley Law School has campuses across Michigan in Lansing, Auburn Hills, Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor, and its new campus in Tampa Bay, Florida.