Download the U.S. Legal Studies LL.M. application form and submit it and the requested materials to the International Programs Office. There is no application fee.
To obtain additional information about the admission process or the application for this LL.M. program contact the International Programs Office by e-mail at [email protected] or by telephone at (517) 371-5140.
Admission to this program will be based on, among other things:
- an earned first degree in law, or its equivalent, from a recognized university outside the United States that is duly accredited in the country
- a distinguished academic record, or has clearly demonstrated by experience, academic performance or other qualifications, the ability to perform well in the LL.M. program
- certification, or capability of certification, to practice law in their country
- undergraduate major and academic performance
- a written personal statement
- a letter of recommendation
- a writing sample
The ability to demonstrate proficiency in speaking and writing English is required of applicants who are not native English speakers. The official TOEFL report must be sent directly by ETS to Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.
An applicant must submit the following materials to the International Programs Office:
1. A completed application.
2. Credential evaluation by the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) LL.M. Credential Assembly Service or the World Education Services, Inc. (WES). The report must be sent directly from the service you choose to Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.
3. Demonstrated English speaking and writing ability. The official TOEFL report must be sent directly by ETS to WMU-Cooley.
4. Resume / Curriculum Vitae
5. Personal statement
6. Reference letter
7. Writing sample
Contact the International Programs Office with your questions about application and enrollment deadlines.
Michaelmas Term (September - December)
Application Deadline: July 1
Hilary Term (January - April)
Application Deadline: November 1
Trinity Term (May - August)
Application Deadline: March 1
There is no application fee. A $25 non-refundable enrollment fee is charged to reserve a seat. In addition, there is a $500 tuition deposit (applied to your first term's tuition) that must be paid by the deadline date. WMU-Cooley charges a $20 non-refundable student activity fee each term. Tuition for graduate courses is $900 per credit hour. Tuition and fees are subject to change without prior notice.
Applicants who have questions regarding the availability of financial aid for LL.M. students should visit the Financial Aid Office at its web site, http://www.cooley.edu/finaid/, or contact them by e-mail at [email protected] or by telephone at (517) 371-5140, ext. 2210.
Canadian citizens have the opportunity to apply for the Pearson Bursary scholarship (pdf) offered by WMU-Cooley Law School. The Admissions Office can provide you with additional information about the Pearson Bursary and provide an application. The Pearson Bursary scholarship is not available to non-degree guest LL.M. students.