9:00 a.m. Check In/Continental Breakfast
9:30 a.m. Morning Session: The Problem of Bullying
The Impact of School Violence & Bullying On Students & Families
Keynote Speaker: Mr. Kevin Epling (Father of Matt Epling for whom Matt's Safe School Law is named)
• A School's Legal Duties and Responsibilities under Title IX and Matt's Safe School Law
• 3-part Test for Determining Liability for Student-on- Student Bullying
• Addressing On-Campus & Off-Campus Cyberbullying
• Students' First Amendment Rights
Speakers: Prof. Monica Nuckolls - Cooley Law School, and Hon. M.T. Thompson, Jr. – District Court Judge
Question & Answer Session
11:30 a.m. Lunch & Informational Video
12:30 p.m. Afternoon Session: Solutions for Bullying
Weekly Bully Beat Down
• Evidence-based program used to stop bullying
• Complies with Matt’s Safe School Law
• Aligned with Core Curriculum State Standards
Speakers: Dr. Gwendolyn McMillon - Oakland University, Dr. Julia Smith - Oakland University, and Dr. Mark N. Mitchell - Delta College
• 8 things a school district can do to stop the bullying.
• 5 things that teachers can do to stop the bullying.
• What students can do to stop the bullying?
• What parents can do to stop the bullying?
• Warning signs for teen shooters and suicide.
• The profile of a bully.
• The profile of a victim.