9:00 a.m. Check In/Continental Breakfast
9:30 a.m. Morning Session: The Problem of Bullying
The Impact of School Violence & Bullying On Students & Families
Keynote Speaker: Mr. Kevin Epling (Father of Matt Epling for whom Matt's Safe School Law is named)
• A School's Legal Duties and Responsibilities under Title IX and Matt's Safe School Law
• 3-part Test for Determining Liability for Student-on- Student Bullying
• Addressing On-Campus & Off-Campus Cyberbullying
• Students' First Amendment Rights
Speakers: Prof. Monica Nuckolls - Cooley Law School, and Hon. M.T. Thompson, Jr. – District Court Judge
Question & Answer Session
11:30 a.m. Lunch & Informational Video
12:30 p.m. Afternoon Session: Solutions for Bullying
Weekly Bully Beat Down
• Evidence-based program used to stop bullying
• Complies with Matt’s Safe School Law
• Aligned with Core Curriculum State Standards
Speakers: Dr. Gwendolyn McMillon - Oakland University, Dr. Julia Smith - Oakland University, and Dr. Mark N. Mitchell - Delta College
• 8 things a school district can do to stop the bullying.
• 5 things that teachers can do to stop the bullying.
• What students can do to stop the bullying?
• What parents can do to stop the bullying?
• Warning signs for teen shooters and suicide.
• The profile of a bully.
• The profile of a victim.
An independent, private, non-profit educational institution affiliated with Western Michigan University. The Law School, as an independent institution, is solely responsible for its academic program. Accredited by the American Bar Association and the Higher Learning Commission. The Law School has campuses across Michigan in Lansing, Auburn Hills, Grand Rapids and in Tampa Bay, Fla.
© Western Michigan University Cooley Law School 2015