Acknowledge that each member of the Cooley community is accountable for their own development as a professional and for establishing and maintaining a professional school environment.
Characteristics of a Professional
- Take responsibility for your own actions and words
- Correct misunderstandings and misinformation
- Pay attention to detail
- Don't criticize without offering a solution
- Volunteer to fix what is broken
- Try to figure it out yourself, first
- Follow appropriate channels in an appropriate manner
- Treat others with respect and dignity
- Work toward improvement, not destruction or the status quo
- Anticipate the effect of your behavior
- Behave in a way that will get a positive effect
- Take into account the demands on and limitations of others
- Commit to personal growth and learning
Serve the Community
Acknowledge that affiliation with the law profession entails public service as its primary purpose. That the profession may provide a means of livelihood makes it no less a public service (with credit to Dean Roscoe Pound, Harvard Law School). Know that professionalism requires providing excellent quality service to your clients and participation in the work of the legal community.
Focus on Students
Acknowledge that all of us–staff, students, faculty, alumni, and community members–have a stake in educating the law student in the ways of professionalism.
Promote an Ethical School Community
Acknowledge that the school community is us–it is nothing more than a composite of all the people who associate with it and in it. Creation of an ethical community can only be accomplished through the ethical acts of its stakeholders.